Help me manage my emotions
Many things can happen in a young person’s life that result in trauma, anxiety, distress and depression. Rangatahi / young people’s feelings can be affected by puberty, difficult social situations, bullies, school, and home life.
- Let the young person you're helping know it's normal to feel a range of emotions
- Let them know many young people find it hard to control their emotions
- Help them to work out the things that make them feel the way they feel. What makes them sad? what makes them happy?
- Encourage them to try a range of things that might help them when they are feeling sad
- Encourage them to talk about how they’re feeling and listen carefully